What is the Center of German and European studies – CDEA?
The CDEA is a center for information, study and research, which is encouraged by DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst, German Academic Exchange Service) with funding from the German Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The center is in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, and is located in two universities in the city, the Pontifical University of Rio Grande do Sul (PUCRS) and the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS). It is a five-year project designed to foster a new generation of Brazilian scientists and researchers in interdisciplinary studies on current topics in Europe and Germany.
The Center is dedicated to the exploration of three key phenomena – Globalization, Sustainable Development and Cultural Diversity – taking into considering the various experiences in Europe/Germany and Brazil.
It is the first center of German and European Studies in Brazil, and indeed of all Latin America, with the headquarters located in the PUCRS School of Humanities. To enable the full involvement of both designated academic communities in Porto Alegre, further accommodation is located at the campus of UFRGS.
The CDEA maintains contacts with partner German universities and European research institutes, in particular those with existing agreements with UFRGS and PUCRS. In addition, the CDEA participates in the events of the excellent network and partnerships which already exist between the 20 DAAD centers of German and European Studies around the world, representing more than 30 foreign universities. The Center’s project, supported by DAAD, identifies three universities as strategic partners for CDEA, UFRGS and PUCRS: the University of Heidelberg (Ruprechts-Karls-Universität Heidelberg), Bonn (Rheims Friedrich Wilhelm Universität) and Erlangen/Nürnberg (Friederich-Alexander Universität Erlangen Nürnberg).
DAAD has established that:
“The Center will help to ensure the continuity of academic cooperation between Brazil and Germany, and foster links between disciplines that address issues related to Germany. Particular attention is to be paid to cooperation with the DAAD sponsored network of centers of German and European Studies worldwide. It is intended that the Brazilian center will become a visible and active part of this network. Further information about the network can be found at www.daad.de/des.
The tasks of the center include:
- Implementation of masters and doctoral programmes as well as specific support for post-docs in the field of German and European studies and ensuring their sustainability. One of the goals of the center should be to make a regional impact by attracting students from different universities;
- To be a reference center in the field of German and European studies and promote interdisciplinary approaches of teaching and learning, especially in the field of civil, social, legal and economic sciences;
- Creation of a Brazilian teaching and research network and advanced courses in the research field of German and European Studies;
- Work closely together with the existing, DAAD sponsored, German and European Studies Centers around the world and become an active member of this network;
- Reaching a wider audience through events and lectures, as well as participation in specialist conferences in the international scientific community.”